Agua Viva

          Agua viva is a Spanish phrase that literally translates to living water. But, what is living water? If you flip to John 4, you will find the story of the Samaritan woman at the well. She received God's living water at the well through Jesus, which would fulfill her life and never leave her thirsty again. Similar to the this bible story, myself and a group of other Believers had the incredible opportunity to fly to a remote village in Nicaragua just a few weeks ago to provide clean water and God's love through Living Water International. Half of the group decided to drill the well throughout the week while the other half of us chose to teach hygiene and bible stories to the women and children in the community. Each morning would start with a group devotional, as we would pray and prepare for a lasting impact on the community we were serving. However, nothing could have prepared me for the first morning as we arrived to the village. Seeing poverty in pictures can be devastating and emotional; however, I found myself standing in the midst of true poverty, according to the dictionary. The roads were made of rocks and dirt. The floors of the homes were dirt. There was no air-conditioning or electric. The homes were constructed of scraps of metal. The children were malnourished. The wild animals were starving. My heart sunk seeing the conditions these people were living in daily. I so desperately wanted to help, but I left the first day feeling frustrated and incapable of making a difference.

I so desperately wanted to help, but I left the first day feeling frustrated and incapable of making a difference.

           By the second day in the village, I truly started to connect with the people. I finally felt like the years I have spent learning Spanish was paying off. Unfortunately, there was one little boy who struck my heart more than the other children. He was deaf boy of seven years of age and had no way of communication. His family did not know sign language, and they were unable to afford transportation to take him to the Deaf school in the city. I went back to the house that night with a debilitating pain in my heart. Part of me felt angry at the world - why do situations like this happen? Why do I feel so helpless? How could God let this happen? I decided the next day to spend more time with this little boy showing him God's grace. Even though I knew sign language in Nicaragua would be different, I taught the little boy signs and phrases in ASL. He was such an eager learner - I could tell he desperately wanted a way to talk to others. He may not remember those signs anymore, and they may not be useful in his country, but I am praying that he was able to see God's love and faithfulness through a simple act of learning to communicate.

I went back to the house that night with a debilitating pain in my heart.

           Fast forward to the last day in the village and you would find me sobbing as I hugged the young girls and mothers who showed me God's love throughout the entire week. Some of my tears were of sadness, of course. However, part of my tears were of pure joy. These Nicaraguans were going to have clean water for the first time in their lives. Now the kids can spend less time sick and more time studying. The mothers can spend more time with their family and less time walking miles to reach water. The simple act of giving clean water has a much more profound impact than I can even imagine. Additionally, I know that we were leaving footprints of Jesus on the village. I know that the well will be a constant reminder of God's grace, unconditional love, and complete faithfulness. While our work in that village has come to an end, I know that God will continue to work in the hearts of those Nicaraguans for a long time.

I know that the well will be a constant reminder of God's grace, unconditional love, and complete faithfulness.

            After a few weeks back in the States, I have had a lot of time to comprehend and filter through the experiences I had in Latin America. My heart still hurts for those who still do not have clean water; but, my heart aches even deeper for those who do not have a relationship with Christ. I have realized that true poverty is the lack of Jesus Christ. These Nicaraguans were not in true poverty - they had a deep desire to know Jesus, regardless of their financial situations. I am beyond grateful that God blessed me with such an incredible opportunity that challenged my perspective in more ways than I could have imagined. I will follow God's plans for my future, but I pray that He will call me back to Latin America to provide His living water, along with physically life-giving water.



If you want to know more about the Living Water International, how to get involved, or donate to their cause, please click here.
         


          
          

Comments

Popular Posts